Tools & Utilities
This page offers a selection of internet-based tools and utilities useful with ongoing daily tasks such
as determining who is the owner of a domain (or where did that virus really come from?), checking whether
you might have any spyware/malware installed, and so forth. Once again, this is a growing page, so please
let us know of any utilities or sites you have found useful (and any broken links herein too) and we will
add them to this listing.
Please note that the following sites are out of our control and therefore, we cannot be held liable
for any damage or problems encountered when accessing the following utilities...
- Lighter and more powerful, try Avast Free Antivirus also available for Android and Mac!
- Using XP and worried that its no longer supported? Replace it with AVG Free AntiVirus and Malware protection
- The excellent MalWareBytes anti-malware
- Sophos Home Free commercial-grade security for the home (more Free Sophos Tools to check for security risks, remove viruses and protect your network).
- Problems sending mail? Try Mail-Tester to test the Spammyness of your emails.
- Check out AeroAdmin for Remote Access and Control of your computer desktop.
- Looking for a free alternative to MS-Office? Check out OnlyOffice Desktop Editor (Word, Excel and Powerpoint compatible)!
- Fed up with constant nags to upgrade to Windows-10? Don't Want Windows 10 utility removes the Get Windows 10 (GWX) update (KB3035583) nags and messages.
Mar.2016; seems MS have got around this, so try our alternative
KillWin10.cmd batch file (right-click, save/download, then run as Admin!). Or try the GWX_control_panel. ]
- Are you missing the Windows-8 Start button menu? Download the Start Menu Reviver free from ReviverSoft, the only start menu for Windows 8!
- Now everyone can accept card payments, with SumUp you can accept card payments with your smartphone or tablet - sign up and receive a free card reader.
- Fed up with Windows automatically rebooting after self updating?
Run/install our simple solution to stop this from occuring again!
- Confused by the myriad of DVI video connectors available? Try the DVI Cheat Sheet or see DVI on Wikipedia.
- Need to safely and securely transfer a one-off large (up to 2GB) file or folder? Try the free
WeTransfer web service (no registration or signup needed)!
- Want to know where your email has been delayed? Try the MXTOOLBOX Email Header Analyzer and find out where!
- Broadband Speed Test [provided by UK Speed test]
- Download Microsoft Security Essentials complete AntiVirus and Malware protection
- Sophos Threat Detector online scanner
- f-secure online tools (requires Java runtime)
- ComboFix from Bleeping Computer
- Need a Windows8/10 alternative to ComboFix? Try FRST - Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from BleepingComputer
- Terminate malware safely using Bleeping Computer's RKill utility.
- SuperAntiSpyware (the name says it all!)
- TrendMicro's HouseCall - x32 & x64 versions
- Microsoft's Security Scanner online.
- McAfee RootKit Remover
- McAfee Stinger
- Secunia Online Scanner (requires Java)
- RogueKiller scans systems for rootkits, registry issues and more
- Sam Spade Online - very useful tool for checking whois records, nameservers, etc.
- DNS utilties for looking up IP addresses, geographic locations, abuse lists, etc
- DNS Report checkup on your mailserver MX records and email handling
- Download SpyBot Search for and Destroy spyware, malware and adware software
- Download Ad-Aware Personal Edition freeware for Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003
- Evaluate SpySweeper (30-day trial) software and other Webroot utilities
- Get the HijackThis tool to investigate browser add-ons and startup items
- PandaActiveScan Free online Virus and Spyware checker
- Basic Virus Course - Panda AntiVirus training course/guide [Flash: 1.45mb] All you want to know about viruses and how to be protected against them; (see also: Panda Website)
- Download ZoneAlarm extremely powerful yet easy-to-use personal firewall software
- Parasite Check your web-browser for unwanted malware
- Phishing and Pharming Scam and Fraud Information from the Anti-Phishing Working Group [antiphishing.org]
- Think you're clued up on phishing?! Why not take the SonicWALL Phishing IQ Test (I only managed 9 out of 10)!
- Why-Spam? ten reasons explaining why you may be receiving spam, together with a list of Anti-Spam resources!
- Remote Helpdesk secure remote support software (no installation needed!)
- Website Visit Statistics for LynmarSolutions.co.uk
- MrMemory RAM Size checking utility (needs to install a small/safe app)
- Microsoft Office 2010 Starter free edition